Monday 17 May 2021

2019 Audi RS5 Sportback (B9)

2019 Audi RS5 Sportback (B9)





I wasn't originally going to bother with this because my personal opinion on cars doesn't really matter. As with most cars at this range, it's mainly just preference at this point. Whether it is the F8x M3/M4, C63/S, Giulia QV or the more recent Audi RS5 (Sportback), it is all preference really. Now it is different heading up towards up into a 911 but聟 for one reason or another I never been the type to "want" a 911. Never crossed my mind or really wanted one. I can get a GT3 but聟 I want the practicality. As of late, I have been looking more and more into the Audi RS5 Sportback or the Benz C63S as my next car in a few years. I like to look ahead and plan a bit before I even decide. So, through my uncle, the general sales manager that is a family friend at Porsche Downtown LA I was able to get my hands and test drive an Audi RS5 Sportback in Nardo Grey.





I will do my regular thoughts so, anyone who is curious about the Audi RS5 (B9), you can make your own opinion with the car. Probably got a few things wrong here and there but聟 just initial thoughts of mine. Also, I'll put as many photos from my silly iPhone X as I can. I was disappointed with the fact that the RS5 doesn't have the Audi DSG (DCT) that you can find in the Audi R8. My uncle, who was with me, noted to me later that the RS5 seemed very tame and quiet in comparison to my M3. Granted my M3 is modded (non tune but with Akrapovic Evolution w/ Stock Downpipe) but the RS5 is either way better noise insulated or the car is just quieter in general. It was a bit more difficult to hear the V6 in the car. I can still hear the engine just not as much, I was barely able to hear the exhaust rumble and I drove the car mostly in Dynamic Mode which tells you something. Maybe this was intentional by Audi but it isn't a visceral feeling like the M3/M4, it is muted interior wise.





Steering was light, lighter than I thought it would be with a car like this. It was still pretty direct which is good. Though, that might be due to the Dynamic Steering the car was optioned with and that kind of fiddles with the steering ratio a bit. Though, I can see that being kind of a good thing for street driving or driving about in the parking lot. I didn't feel or get any dead spots in the steering but it was light. I didn't feel as much of the road through the steering either. Not really sure if is due to me not changing the steering (feel) before hand or it is just like that from the beginning. BMW terms, Gran Coupes. BMW has always charged more for their Gran Coupe cars but Audi doesn't, least not with the RS5. The MSRP of the RS5 Coupe is the same as the RS5 Sportback.





Which also leads me to say, I found out the Sportback version is new in 2019, it wasn't available for 2018 when the RS5 Coupe was initially released in the States. So, yeah that's something I learned too. I am not 100% sure but I didn't find the suspension jarring. That could be due to my M3 being what it is (stiff) so, I very rarely find cars at this price range that are stiffer than my F80. Even with the KW DDC (which helps a LOT by the way) the RS5 is noticeably more comfortable. I do not think I would feel fatigue in the RS5. While I did drive in Dynamic Mode the entire time, I didn't change the settings so, I have no comparison I can do, that was a bit of an oversight on my behalf. Though the Downtown LA roads are a bit bumpy and during the drive I felt the road but again it wasn't uncomfortable, in fact I found it better (comfortable wise) than our Macan S (I am not kidding btw). Interior is good albeit very minimalistic.