Friday, 12 February 2021

Porsche Surface Coated Brakes

Porsche Surface Coated Brakes





Well guys glad I ordered these on my new cayenne S! Hope this wasn't a huge mistake on my part! Hopeful Porsche will get this corrected before my car is built and delivered! Coming from a 2014 Mercedes that hasn't really had any issues to speak of and hoping this car won't be a problem! Maybe need to stop looking and reading this stuff. Im wondering these days if PCCB is actually the way to go. Frankly, I was always in the school of thought that if you track, live on a gravel driveway, or drive off-road - you should opt for steels. Now, if a fix is coming for the problem brake-sets and its a reset - then fine. But otherwise - Im kind of thinking the PCCBs may be the way to go. Incidentally, the steel rotors on my GT3 are the best brakes I have ever experienced with absolutely perfect feel and modulation.





Im wondering these days if PCCB is actually the way to go. Frankly, I was always in the school of thought that if you track, live on a gravel driveway, or drive off-road - you should opt for steels. Theodor, I think you make some valid points. Ive mentioned several times how impressed Ive been with PSCB on a base Cayenne we test-drove while our PCCB Turbo was floating its way to us from Emden. We would never have optioned PCCB but for the shortage / delay, and our dealership offering a pretty generous additional discount to switch as lock date approached. So far, Ive read zero complaints about the carbon-ceramics on the new Cayenne. But the PSCB noise issue after several months of driving has been repeated here. I had concerns about being the beta guy for PSCB, it being such a dramatically new type of braking system. But I felt comfortable with them based on Porsches sterling reputation for engineering and quality.





Now, however, I feel good about the switch to PCCB. Id do it again in a heartbeat. Well guys glad I ordered these on my new cayenne S! Hope this wasn't a huge mistake on my part! Hopeful Porsche will get this corrected before my car is built and delivered! Coming from a 2014 Mercedes that hasn't really had any issues to speak of and hoping this car won't be a problem! Maybe need to stop looking and reading this stuff. Has anyone in the U.S. Kaiser, I took delivery last weekend in NYC. Turbo with the standard PSCB鈥檚. I鈥檓 not sure if this counts, since for the Turbo it鈥檚 not an option. I had a pebble damage my PCCBs on my 911 and did not order them on my Cayenne. Especially considering I drive the Cayenne mostly in snow and its the small gravel they put on the roads thats the culprit.





I would also not want drilled rotors for the same reason. 25 or worse case the entire windshield is covered by law under insurance. 100 deductible. Rotors are not coverered as its not a safety issue. Has anyone in the U.S. My turbo came in last week with PSCBs but I didnt accept the car because it had the wrong seats. I drove it a few miles with dealer and I thought the brakes were awesome. But I'm not a light braker. One thing I did not like is the white calipers (on a black/black/black car) but dealer said they can get them painted red or black. Has anyone in the U.S. Same issue with mine in Australia- received an update last week to advise my S (with PSCB) has been pushed back to early August delivery (originally expected in Feb). But no guarantees that it wouldnt be delayed again.





Clearly frustrated we started looking at options - one would be them throwing in PCCBs or upgrading me to a Turbo. 10k. A few compromises on options (ie no soft close doors, Turbo Design wheels instead of RS Spyder), but immaterial considering its now a Turbo. Pick it up in 2 weeks time. I look delivery of my Cayenne in late November and have about 6000 miles on the car. The feel of the brakes seems normal now to me. The initial grabbiness is gone probably from break-in for both the brakes and me. I have had no noise issue. I had a pebble damage my PCCBs on my 911 and did not order them on my Cayenne. Especially considering I drive the Cayenne mostly in snow and its the small gravel they put on the roads thats the culprit. I would also not want drilled rotors for the same reason. 25 or worse case the entire windshield is covered by law under insurance.